Friday, November 28, 2008

My Sick Child

Vincent has had a mild cough for a few days now; starting either Monday or Tuesday. Nothing major at all. It did seem to be getting slightly worse early yesterday, but it was hard to tell if it was actually worsening, or just changing a bit. As I'm typing this, I realize that this may all seem like I'm a horrible mom for not knowing my child's illnesses better. He was definitely acting more tired than usual by the time we left the Hutryas after Thanksgiving dinner. We figured it was because it was past his bedtime and he took such a short nap.

By midnight, last night, he had a fever. We ended up bringing him to bed with us. Vincent has never slept well with us, even from the beginning. That's one of the reasons we didn't co-sleep. There are mornings that he will wake up early, and we'll try to bring him into our bed, hoping that he'll just fall back to sleep in between us. Doesn't work. He does enjoy the cuddling & hanging out, and we get to lay about for a little longer, but there's no more sleeping to be had. When Vincent and I were in L.A. back in May, I did bring him into bed with me one night because he was having a tough time sleeping & he actually slept next to me. We weren't sure how it would go last night. I'd say that he didn't fully fall asleep until past 2am, but he slept. And, he slept until past 9am this morning.

He was definitely acting more out of sorts than usual today. After we got him down for his nap, David decided to call the children's clinic, just to make sure there wasn't anything more we should be doing for him. Apparently there was. They said they wanted us to take him in. Well, it's a good thing Vincent has a good dad because it turns out he has an ear infection in his left ear. A pretty good one, too - with puss. He was not happy about the visit to the doctor, but he happily took his antiboitics when we got home.

He just about rejected all of his dinner. He took the tiniest of bites here and there just to appease us, but didn't actually eat. I gave him a hot shower, and he was ready to call it a night. It's 10:30pm, I'm not entirely sure what kind of night it will turn out to be tonight. My poor baby. Thank goodness this is a long weekend for David.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ear infections are NO fun! jonas knows this first hand. i hope he feels better soon! good luck getting sleep everyone.